Zillow makes money by selling ads on the site. To be a successful media company, you need to make sure your customers are making money from their ads. To help our customers do this, it is important to look at what the best performing ads look like, and the lowest performing, because ad content is crucial to performance. Actually, these findings can apply broadly to any advertising campaign, not just those on Zillow.
If you take one thing away from this, here it is - LISTING ADS PERFORM A LOT BETTER (in terms of click thrus) THAN AGENT HEADSHOT ADS.
Observations from the Top 50:
- 100% of the ads were of listings
- 45 of 50 of ads were an exterior home shot, 3 were interior, 2 were aerials
- 42 of the ad mentioned a specific area (neighborhood, city or addres)
- 8 central messages revolved around Short Sale, Foreclosure or price reduction
- 2 were Open Houses ads
- 0 photos were renderings, all were actual photos
- 0 ads promoted a specific person, business or brand
- 22 of the ads have a specific price in them
- 7 had a phone number on the ad
- 50 of the photos were taken on a sunny day
Observations from the Bottom 20
- 18 Of the ads were promoting an agent/broker/brand
- 1 had no photos (and no clicks)
- 1 had some type of call to action on the ad
- To protect the innocent, I'll just type the more popular tag lines from these ads:
- Buying or Selling?
- Let's Make It Happen!
- Greater [City] Expert
- [State] Specialist (you specialize in the whole state?)
- Call For Results
- Buyer Rebate
- Luxury Living
- I'll Get Your Moving
- Need Perspective?
- Local [Large City] Expert (would be more effective if neighborhood name was used)
- 31 Yrs Selling Experience
- Certified Mtg Planner (does JoePublic know what Mtg is?)
- ..and the most common No tag line - Just company name
The Top 50 ads on the site this week:
In case you aren't familar with Zillow Showcase Ads, they are zip code targeted ads that can be updated at any time. Here is a page on Zillow to read more about Showcase Ads and get started. If you want to get an idea of cost, you can call 1-866-324-4005 and one of our marketing consultants will be glad to give you a local quote, as prices vary depending on much traffic your area recieves. The marketing consultants would also be happy to consult with you on creative, whether you are a new or existing client.
If you are a visual person, please watch this video with more information about how the ads work: