Each quarter Zillow publishes a report using the data on the site to site trends across the country. Since I am a Chicago girl (and a Zillow employee), I wanted to highlight some interesting data the report found on the windy city metro.
- Appreciation in the Chicago metropolitan area (Chicago-Gary-Kenosha, IL-IN-WI) was relatively flat (0.94% year-over-year), which was more promising than the national average of - 0.83% YoY
- McHenry, Will, Du Page and Cook Counties all showed positive YoY appreciation, while Lake, Kane and De Kalb Counties depreciated year-over-year
- The cities of Maywood, Hometown, Countryside, Homer Glen and Burbank all showed healthy YoY appreciation in the double digits, while nearly 40% of the Chicagoland cities covered this quarter actually depreciated.
- The Chicago neighborhood showing the highest appreciation was Stony Island (19.67% YoY), while the most depreciated neighborhood was Oak Brook (-7.88% YoY). Several neighborhoods showed relatively flat appreciation (less than 1% either direction), but what's particularly interesting about Elsdon is that showed totally flat appreciation (0.00% YoY)
- The three ZIP codes that drew the most eyes on Zillow, as measured by the Zillow Interest Index were 60614, 60657 and 60622. In the Zillow Interest Index tab, you can track how the popularity of those ZIP codes have changed quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year. For example, 60614 and 60657 continue to be the #1 and #2 most viewed ZIPs on Zillow, while 60622 has risen 5 spots since the previous quarter and 6 spots since the previous year.
The quarterly report is very extensive and covers many more neighborhoods than I highlighted here. If you are interested in reading the full report, which also covers 46 metropolitan areas, you can find it at www.zillow.com/quarterlies/QuarterlyReports.htm.
In general, the state of Illinois is performing very good on Zillow. It is the 8th most trafficked state (behind CA, FL, WA, MA, TX, AZ and NY), with 1,894,110 page views generated in the state alone last month. As a metropolitian stastical area, the Chicago-Gary-Kenosha MSA is the fourth most visited in the county.
There are definitely a lot of eyeballs coming looking at information in the Chicagoland area. Make sure your listings are posted on Zillow to leverage this exposure opportunity. If you aren't sure of everything you can do on Zillow, please refer to my blog post 10 Things You Should Do On Zillow Today.